- This event has passed.
2023 Kathryn Gawartin Memorial Chopin Competition
Click Here For Our Guidelines
2. Each teacher is allowed to enter up to three students in each division.
Previous first place winners in Division I are not eligible for Division I. Previous first place winners in Division II are not eligible for Division II. Previous first place winners in Division III are not eligible for Division III.
3. All music must be memorized. Contestants who do not play from memory will be heard by the judges, but are ineligible to be selected as winners.
4. Contestants must bring a score of the music performed to the competition . ( this requirement will be voided in case of a Zoom event)
5. Decisions of the judges are final
a. Judges are not obligated to select a winner in each division.
b. Any teacher who at any time contacts a judge regarding this Competition and/or its results may have his/her student disqualified from the Competition.
c. Any parent who at any time contacts a judge regarding this Competition and/or its results may have his/her child disqualified from the Competition.
6. The receipt of a submitted MTAC-WLA Online Application Form & Competition Agreement for the Kathryn Gawartin Chopin Piano Competition shall be deemed as an acceptance and agreement of the applicant to the Competition Rules & Regulations .
7. In the event of any disputes, claims, questions, or disagreements arising from or relating to the rules and regulations of this Competition or the Competition Agreement, or the breach thereof, MTAC-WLA shall utilize its best effort to settle the disputes, claims, questions, or disagreements. To this effect, involved parties shall consult and negotiate with each other in good faith, and recognizing their mutual interest, attempt to reach a fair and equitable solution satisfactory to both parties. If the parties do not reach a solution within a period of sixty (60) days, then upon notice by either party to the other, all disputes, claims, questions, or differences shall be finally settled by an arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association in accordance with the provisions of its Commercial Arbitration Rules. Each party to bear its own cost.
To encourage the highest level of Chopin piano performance for pre-college (ages 18 and under) students of all MTAC members. This competition is open to ALL MTAC Branches.
REPERTOIRE & TIME LIMIT
Entrants may choose from any of the solo piano works of Chopin. Entrants may select one of the following:
1. One long work in its entirety (with the exception of multi movements works);
2. One movement or multiple movements from a single sonata. Maximum time allowed is 10 minutes.
3. A collection of shorter pieces from the Chopin solo piano repertoire. Maximum time allowed is 10 minutes.
DIVISIONS, FEES & AWARDS
Division I. : age 10* & under
Entry Fee : $60
Awards. : 1st place: $150, 2nd place $100
Division II : age 13* & under
Entry Fee : $70
Awards : 1st place: $300, 2nd place $200
Division III: age 18* & under & pre-college
Entry Fee : $80
Awards. : 1st place: $500, 2nd place $400
*Age as of competition day of June 3, 2023
Proof-of-age documents: birth certificate, passport, driver’s license etc.
Registration fee is non refundable. Additional $20 late fee incurs per entry past
application deadline and upon approval of co-chairs.
Registration deadline: May 27, 2023.
The winners concert will take place at Crossroads School in Santa Monica on June 12, 2023, 7 P.M.
In the event of a tie or ties, scholarship award amounts will be redistributed within the Division in which the tie(s) occurs.