Gawartin Chopin Piano Competition
February 9, 2020$50 – $70
Chair: Louisa Wong and Wojciech Kocyan
- Event Date: Sunday,February 9, 2020
Location: Roth hall, crossroads school Santa Monica
- Deadline to complete online application below: January 27, 2020
Postmark Deadline for Entry Fees: , January 28, 2020
- The Gawartin Chopin Competition provides gifted and talented students from all branches of MTAC an opportunity to compete for cash prize awards, as well as the chance to appear in the Winners’ Recital.
Click Here For Our Guidelines
- Kathryn Gawartin Chopin Competition
Co-Chairs: Dr. Wojciech Kocyan & Louisa Wong
Competition date: SUNDAY, February 9, 2020. To be held at the Crossroads School in Roth Hall Santa Monica
Deadline to complete online application: January 27, 2020. Application now posted at the end of these guidelines) Please mail entry fees check (made payable to MTAC-WLA) and proof of age to by January 28. 2020
- to competition co-chair Louisa Wong at 124 S. Kenter Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90049.
- Postmark deadline is January 27, 2020
WINNERS’ RECITAL will be held on Sunday, February 16, 2020 recital time and venue tba All prize winners are required to perform in the recital. Awards will be presented at the Winners’ Recital.
For any questions, please e mail co-chairs Louisa Wong firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Wojciech Kocyan email@example.com.
To encourage the highest level of Chopin piano performance for pre-college (ages 18 and under) students of all MTAC members. This competition is open to ALL MTAC Branches. REPERTOIRE:
Entrants may choose from any of the solo piano works of Chopin.
Entrants may select one of the following:
1. One long work in its entirety;
2. One movement or multiple movements from a single sonata (total time not to exceed ten (10) minutes);
3. A collection of shorter pieces from the Chopin solo piano repertoire (total time not to exceed ten (10) minutes)DIVISIONS
2020 KATHRYN GAWARTIN CHOPIN COMPETITION (hereinafter referred to as the “Competition”) RULES & REGULATIONS:
1. Student must currently be studying with a current MTAC teacher member from any branch. Said teacher must be the student’s primary piano instructor for at least six months immediately prior to entering the Competition. 2. Each teacher is allowed to enter up to three students in each division. Previous first place winners in Division I are not eligible for Division I. Previous first place winners in Division II are not eligible for Division II. Previous first place winners in Division III are not eligible for Division III.
DIVISIONS Division I : age 10* & under Entry Fee : $50 Prizes : 1st place: $150, 2nd place $100
Division II : age 13* & under Entry Fee : $60 Prizes : 1st place: $300, 2nd place $200
Division III : age 18 & under & pre-college Entry Fee : $70 Prizes : 1st place: $500, 2nd place $400
*Age as of competition day of February 9, 2020
A $20 late fee per entry will apply past application deadline and upon approval of the chair(s).
3. Proof-of-age document (e.g., birth certificate, passport, driver’s license) is required for all applicants.
4. This Competition is open to the public.
5. All music must be memorized. Contestants who do not play from memory will be heard by the judges, but are ineligible to be selected as winners.
6. Contestants must bring one original score for each of their pieces to the Competition. No photocopies are permitted. a. Contestants who use an unpermitted photocopy(ies) in the Competition will be disqualified and not permitted to participate in the Competition.
b. In the event of out-of-print works or works downloaded from online sources, photocopies will be permitted with the appropriate license from the publishing company. This must be cleared with the Competition chair(s). The use of any photocopied material without prior consent from the Competition chair(s) is not allowed, and the contestant will be immediately disqualified and not permitted to participate in the Competition.
c. The decisions of the judges are final. i. Judges are not obligated to select a winner in each division. ii. Any teacher who at any time contacts a judge regarding this Competition and/or its results may have his/her student disqualified from the Competition. iii. Any parent who at any time contacts a judge regarding this Competition and/or its results may have his/her child disqualified from the Competition.
8. 2018 Kathryn Gawartin Chopin Piano Competition Cash Scholarships will be awarded as follows:
Division I: 1st Place: $150 2nd Place: $100 Division II: 1st Place: $300 2nd Place: $200 Division III: 1st Place: $500 2nd Place: $400
i. Ties and honorable mentions are permitted. ii. In the event of a tie or ties, scholarship award amounts will be redistributed within the Division.
9. The receipt of a submitted MTAC-WLA Online Application Form & Competition Agreement for the Kathryn Gawartin Chopin Piano Competition shall be deemed as an acceptance and agreement of the applicant to the Competition Rules & Regulations stated above.
a. In the event of any disputes, claims, questions, or disagreements arising from or relating to the rules and regulations of this Competition or the Competition Agreement, or the breach thereof, MTAC-WLA shall utilize its best effort to settle the disputes, claims, questions, or disagreements.
b. To this effect, the parties shall consult and negotiate with each other in good faith, and recognizing their mutual interest, attempt to reach a fair and equitable solution satisfactory to both parties. If the parties do not reach a solution within a period of sixty (60) days, then upon notice by either party to the other, all disputes, claims, questions, or differences shall be finally settled by an arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association in accordance with the provisions of its Commercial Arbitration Rules. Each party to bear its own cost.
Crossroads School, Roth Hall
For 2020 APPLICATION click here
Division I: (Age 10 and under) $50 Division II: (Age 13 and under) $60 Division III: (Age 18 and under and pre-college) $70
(additional $20 late fee per entry past application deadline and upon approval of the co-chairs)
- APPLICATION & FEES
- Please fill out the form below – making sure that you fill out info for each student and/or ensemble. Deadline is January 27, 2020
- Accurate timings must be provided, and please no repeats!
- Entry fee per student: tbd
- Teachers: Entry fees must be paid with a single check for the teacher’s TOTAL entry fees for all students payable to: MTAC-WLA.
- Mail Entry fees check to
124 S Kenter , Los Angeles 90049.
Please note festival in portion of check.
- Deadline: Online form must be filled out by january 27, 2020
Master Studio Application for This Event
- Event Date: Sunday,February 9, 2020