- This event has passed.
Living Composers Fiesta
May 6 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm$25
Chair Dr. Neil Galanter firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Date: May 6, 2023
Location: Los Angeles Public Library Westwood Branch
1246 Glendon Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024
Deadline to email the required information ( the name of the piece, level, composer, year of birth and timing) to email@example.com : April 22, 2023
Deadline for Entry Fees: April 22, 2023
The Living Composers Fiesta is not a competition. Each student participant is presented with a festival certificate of achievement.
Click Here For Our Guidelines
Living Composers Fiesta is a Music/Performance Festival of everything that is current and exciting today: Compositions of living composers may include any or all of the following: multimedia, improvisation, experimentation, jazz, film music, recent compositions, concert music/art music. The music can be inspired by the classical tradition, pop, jazz, rock or any fusions thereof. Any and all instrumental and vocal combinations are encouraged. Students are encouraged to perform their own compositions or pieces by their friends. Have an open mind—the sky is the limit, and it is time to play with sound and possibilities!
- REPERTOIRE POSSIBILITIES
The music can be inspired from the classical tradition, pop, jazz, rock, or any fusions thereof. Any and all instrumental and vocal combinations are encouraged. Please NO compositions from composers of teaching material etc. (like method books or pseudo-classical type pieces from method books etc.) Otherwise, as long as the composer or group is living today, it should fit the concept of this festival.
Students can also perform their own pieces, pieces by their friends or pieces by present day musicians or musical groups. Have an open mind – the sky is the limit and it is time to play with sound and possibilities!
If your student composes his own pieces of music, and there is a written score, it (or a portion thereof) should be made available for the audience on the performance date.
Perhaps your student has an idea of combining his instrument or instruments with a multi-media presentation or various forms of multi-track recording.
Your student might also wish to do a ‘cover’ of another groups’ music. A transcription of a well-known work of a traditional classical composer is permitted ONLY if it forms the basis or inspiration for an original work. It should NOT be a simple transcribing of the work into pop-form.
The fusion of different art forms is also a nice idea: Dance + music, theatre, + music, poetry + music, or rap as a musical form, hip-hop etc. Really anything is possible as long as it can be performed at the performance space (TBA) N.B. Any questions about acceptable performances or compositions can be directed to Neil Galanter: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 213-804-1009
- PLAYING TIME AND ELIGIBILITY
- Each teacher is allowed a maximum of 12 minutes of total playing time for all students.
- Students should at the level of performance of CM 3. All instruments are allowed. Memorization & Performance: Memorization is not necessary and is up to the performer, however the piece should be up to performance standards, i.e. ready for a performance.
- REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
- Compositions of living composers which can include any or all of the following: multimedia, improvisation, experimentation, jazz, film music, recent compositions, concert music/art music. The music can be inspired by the classical tradition, pop, jazz, rock or any fusions thereof. Any and all instrumental and vocal combinations are encouraged. Students are encouraged to perform their own compositions or pieces by their friends
- MEMORIZATION & PERFORMANCE
- When possible, pieces should be be memorized.
- All performers must stay for the entirety of the festival program.
- Traditional recital dress code must be followed for a respectful, professional look. Teachers, please remind students of our dress code.
- APPLICATION & FEES
- Please email the name of the piece, level, composer, year of birth and timing to email@example.com Deadline is April 22, 2023
- Accurate timings must be provided, and please no repeats!
- Entry fee per student: $25
- Teachers: please pay the fees using the Make a Payment button by April 22, 2023